Sunday, October 11, 2009

After some wine

After some wine

Originally Posted on October 13, 2008

I am sitting here after visiting with a friend for my birthday, after having some wine, and looking at a photo of myself circa 1987ish. What I wish I could tell that little girl. It's weird to look at a photo of me 21 years ago. She has such beautiful bright eyes, and rosey cheeks, a smile that is pure and sweet and innocent, and hands about the same size as they are now. My nose is the same, and man did I have a great arch in my eyebrows! I think what did that little girl think about....about life, her family, did she think she was pretty, and what she'd grow up to look like, and where she'd be, and what she'd be. It's undeniable that what has happened in my life so far isn't exactly what I would have wished for back then. But that little girl has grown into a strong woman. I turned 26 on Saturday, October 11, and I love my birthday, every year, I look forward to it, I just love that I arrived into this world on that specific day, but I got a card from my dad on Saturday. And while I couldn't read it at the time, I read it again, and here it goes.

How To make a Beautiful Life

Love yourself, Make Peace with who you are, and where you are at this moment in time. Listen to your heart, if you can't hear what it's saying in this noisy world, make time for yourself. Enjoy your own company, let your mind wander among the stars. Try, take chances, make mistakes, life can be messy, and confusing at times, but it's also full of surprises. The next rock in your path might be a stepping-stone. Be HAPPY! When you don't have what you want, want what you have. Make do. That's a well kept secret of contentment. There aren't any shortcuts to tomorrow. You have to MAKE YOUR OWN WAY, to know where you are going is only part of it. You need to know where you've been too. And if you get lost, don't worry the people who LOVE you will FIND you. Count on it. Life isn't days and years, It's what you do with time, and with all the goodness and grace that's inside you. Make a beautiful life. The kind of life you DESERVE.

I couldn't read this whole thing for a while when I got it at first, because it's like this card was written for me. And all of this stuff so relates to me, and my life. But I love it now, and am looking for a frame. If I could tell that 5 year old something now, it would be this stuff. I am keeping that picture out on my dresser for the next year, to fulfill all of those wishes she wanted, all of the dreams she held, and live the kind of life I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment