Friday, April 9, 2010

Baseball

They throw the ball, I hit it; they hit the ball, I catch it.~ Willie Mays San Francisco Giants

 I was 11 years old at my first Giants baseball game.  Good old Candlestick--I remember that game because, lucky me I got a Giant's Troll.  Remember those things?!  Some had creepy jewels in their belly buttons, some had different clothes.  Mine, my Giants Troll had a Giants Jersey, with bright Orange hair!  I also remember that game because that was the game that Robby Thompson got beamed in the face with a fast pitch, and it knocked him out.  Not cool Padres, not cool.  

 Star Spangled Banner

I played softball from 5th grade until 8th grade, and I liked it, I liked the cheering part most..."when I say go-you say fight. GO. Fight." the teams I played for were "The Blasters"...serious, LAME.  And the Tigers...better, best team I played for.  But, I liked my other choices better.  So, I stopped, and started cheering for football and playing volleyball instead.  But, my junior year of high school, I asked my weight training coach if I could be his stat girl for baseball for that year, and the next.  He happily accepted.  And I was super excited, I got to hang out with a bunch of dudes, travel on a bus, and watch a game I liked watching a lot more than playing.  This is where I learned the game, and learned that I got really worked up, and excited about strike outs and RBI's.  I kept track of RBA's.  I was the girl that the players would go to afterward to see their stats.  I learned that sunflower seeds can dehydrate the shit out of you, and oh yes....wear sunscreen on a warm March day, during a Double Header up in Mt. Shasta.  

 She loves me

 Me and the Girlies

I love the whole aspect of baseball.  I don't love that the baseball pants have turned into a more expensive version of sweatpants. I wish they'd bring back the old school pants. I guarantee the female fan spectrum would widen.  

 Me and Martha!!

Once I moved down to Napa, I was excited for how close I was to the AT&T Park!  And since I've lived here, I've been able to attend more games than if I hadn't ever moved here.  And every time, it's a good time had by all.  Today was Opening Day for the Giants and it was A-Frickin-Mazing.  With my friend Martha, we took the Ferry over, and on the way, saw a freaking whale-well, the side of it's tail, but still.  It made my whole day.  Once we got to the Ferry Building you could feel how excited everyone was for today, being that the Giants were already 3-0, fans were pumped.   But, I swear if I had heard "I need extra tickets, anyone got any extra tickets", I was gonna go ape shit.  It was off the hook across from the park, and we went to Pete's Tavern to get a little tasty beverage--already I was having a crazy, crazy time!  And,  I am a freaking expert at getting free drinks, don't ask, I won't give out my secrets.  It was 12 noon, and I was already good to go, and when I say good to go....I mean I was drunk.  I'd been to opening day 2 years ago, but it was a different life then for me, today was definitely more fun.

 AT&T Ball Park

Once we were in the park, I was in baseball heaven.  Sun, Ocean, Beer, the sound of the bat smacking the ball, the sound of the *de der de der.....Chaaaarge**, my vegan cookie, friends on both arms, and boys...boys....BOYS.  Me, likey.  And I was brought back to when I was a little girl, brought back to when I played ball myself, and brought back to when I used to keep stats for my high school team.  And, it didn't take long for me to be on my feet cheering, booing, clapping, and screaming oh and laughing when the coach for the Atlanta Braves got kicked out of the game.  That shit is hilarious. 

I had such a fun time, with fun company and a great game that I was sure we were about to lose, but then, bam...4 extra innings in....base hit, and we scored. You can't deny that the fans for the Giants are definitely in love with our team, and our players--and we take pride in them. The 2010 Giants are gonna be a special treat for us.  I can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks.  Plus, by then Tim Lincecum will have been back at it, and I'll be a happy girl.

 When you see this face, you know I'm feeling good.

Get on your feet; Let's Go Giants.

  




No comments:

Post a Comment