The earth is what we all have in common.
- Wendell Berry Author, farmer, cultural critic
I remember the first Earth Day that I celebrated, I was in 5th grade, with Mr. Watson. He had started this little club called the Elsa Club, based on the lioness shown in that movie. It was a group of us, that basically made our school aware of recycling, and reusing, and reducing. Not to litter, or to waste. That was in 1993. For the most part I have still kept to recycling, although sometimes, I do get lazy and forget.
As an adult, I see stuff going on in this world, and I'm like WTF?! I mean seriously. But, let me tell you something that really got my goat last night, as I was watching the news online, and this lovely gem came on. Who, the eff wants to watch this?! Um, not me. Happy Earth Day right?! I don't know, why don't we next time, we find a jumper who has decided to plunge into the ocean off of the golden gate bridge why don't we video tape that?! I mean, that's probably what that person wanted anyway, to be seen....I think that sounds lovely...don't you?! Ugh...poor little whale. I mean I get it, the little whale is a wild animal and died, but I mean, to show it on the news?! Are you kidding me.
Anyway, moving on. Life is funny you know, the other day I was confronted again with why I've chosen to become a vegan, and like I said before, I originally did it just because I thought I couldn't. And then, when that passed, and I saw that I could, it became a health thing, and now, in all honesty, it's become a political thing. About animals, and mass farming, and mass production. Oh I could go on and on, but I won't, instead I really encourage you to become aware of what it is you're eating, and how it got there, even if that means you start eating free range, local meat and dairy.
I went outside today, and the first thing that catches my eyes on this really pretty day is the cloud formations, and how I live in one of the prettiest places in California. I mean, really we live on a beautiful planet, and have so many things offered to us everyday. We all are really so lucky.
While I won't be attending the Giants game on Sunday, but I will be there Monday, and in the Coors Executive Box! So stinking excited for that, but while I won't be there, you should go, you may, if you are lucky be able to get this perfect idea. Way to go Giants!
I hope that where ever you are in this great world, you have a wonderful day, I know I will!! Take care.



No comments:
Post a Comment