"It is sometimes called the City of Magnificent Distances, but it might with greater propriety be termed the City of Magnificent Intentions."
-- American Notes
Charles Dickens
In 1997, a 14 year old girl was asked--"Where do you want to go for Memorial Day weekend? Hawaii, or something?" And that 14 year old girl said "No, we should go to Washington D.C., it's so much fun." And that's what her and her family did. And, from that moment on, that 14 year old girl was in love. That 14 year old girl; was me.
That's me, and Kathryn in 8th grade in front on the Capitol 1996
I had gone to the East Coast my 8th grade year with my class. We went to D.C., NYC, Gettysburg, Mt. Vernon, Harlem. So, when my step-dad asked where it was we should go, I begged to go back. Me and Bryan in the National Air and Space Museum 1997
In front of the Lincoln Memorial, my favorite out of all of them. 1997
I loved showing my brother the memorials I had seen the previous year, I loved going to the museums, and seeing it all again, nothing about it was boring. I loved that since it was Memorial Day Weekend, there was even more people there, taking in their Nations History.
I went back to D.C. again this last weekend. And the second I could see the Washington Monument from the air, a smile was on my face. As soon as I stepped off of my plane, my smile kept getting bigger. I couldn't wait to see my friend Shannon again, and Allison, and meet more, new, great people. I couldn't wait to see the Cherry Blossoms blooming, all of it never gets old to me.
My flight coming into DCA. Washington Monument
I felt at home on the metro, except for the guy across from me giving me the "hey..I'd like to see you without your shirt on" look. But, besides that, it's like I never left. And when I saw Shannon and her pup, I felt at home. We had drinks and a snack at Trusty's, on Capitol Hill, and I had 1 Long Island Iced Tea....which was one too many. Whoops. And, when I woke up in a stooper in bed, I was sure I was gonna have a slammin' weekend. Shannon and I woke up at 6 am Friday morning, laughing, and telling stories of the night before, and everything else....(ahem...including The Family Guy) the term Coin Purse, will forever remain in my brain thanks to Shannon....we were non-stop laughing, my abs were in pain.
After she left for work, I was on my own, getting ready to venture out on the city that I love. I walked to the Metro, and got off at the Smithsonian Station, and as soon as I saw daylight, the smile resumed, and the camera started snapping. I don't mind being on my own in a place like this, because I feel like I am at home. I even was asked directions to part of the Smithsonian, and knew the answer.
Cherry Blossoms
The Nations Capitol
First, I headed to the Capitol, and snapped away as there were some protesters on the lawn. Saw where the President is sworn in, and looked out in awe. I wandered over to the National Archives, where, within 5 minutes of arrival, I was proposed to by a perfect stranger. I thanked him, but turned the offer down, **although, now I think of it...and that could get me to my city that I love so much. At the National Archives I found out information about my family that I never knew, and I'm pretty sure my parents don't even know! I loved it, I was writing everything down. I felt like a nerd, but I didn't care, I was learning things and seeing things about my past that I was there to find...and I was finding it, on my own!!!
The National Archives Building...so pretty
Me, compared to the pillars
I was in my heaven, I belong there. I sat, at the National Mall, and ate lunch, and read, and people watched while 8th graders, who are away from their parents for the first time, were driving their chaperones crazy--just like I am sure we did.
As I wrapped up my first afternoon there, to meet Shannon and Amy to start our shenanigans for the night, I bought some gifts and headed back down into the Metro, as the hustle and bustle began at the end of the work day.
.jpg)






I love DC so much. I could spend a day at every single location. The cathedral, the mall, the smithsonian, you know what I mean.
ReplyDelete:)