Monday, March 15, 2010

Here Comes the Bride(s)

"You can either cry, and be sad, or you can drink....hopefully you'll do both, and your girls will be with ya, to back you up and do the same." ~ Lady in Kuleto's

On Saturday, I found myself in San Francisco, on really a great day.  My friend and I had just missed the Saint Patricks Day Parade, which really was alright with me.  I saw all sorts of revelers dressed in head to toe green, or just with a ton of green necklaces, etc.  We weren't there for festitvities, we were there for shopping.  We shopped, and shopped,......and shoopppped and found ourselves thirsty, and I was a little crabby.  So, we started walking in search for a bar, or restaurant that would calm me down.  When all of a sudden, a man wearing a wedding dress passes me....I'm thinking..."Oh well, if it were anywhere else, I'd think that's weird, but we are in San Francisco." A little bit more walking and another, and another....groups of men and women, old and young dressed in wedding gowns...."Ummmm.....was there some sort of movie like this? Oh yea, it was the Bachelor."  As we were walking by a restaurant I noticed two brides in the window, "Please, let's stop here, it has a bar, and food."  We stepped up to the bar, and ordered our drinks.  And of course, I'm me, so I am not shy, and I ask questions....."Ummmm....excuse me, but why....why are you dressed up like a bride?"  Super cute ladies, dressed up completely like brides...veil, gloves, everything start telling me the "Legend" of the story of the Brides of March.  Supposedly back about 12 years ago, there was a bride that was stood up at the altar, and of course she was pissed, but instead of being sad, and going home with a hurt ego, she grabbed her friends and went on a pub crawl across the city.

Now, I googled this crazy story when I got home, and apparently it's not just in San Francisco, it's in most major cities across the country.  But, the whole idea is fun.  I sat there with them, talking and laughing talking about dudes vs. douches.  I got some dating advice, both of these women were a little older than myself, but still young at heart.  One had been married for 12 years, until she realized she married the wrong man....and the other, married for about 4.  We talked about coming back and doing it next year, and I think it's definitely something I can promise myself I am going to do.  Why not?  It's just too bad I don't still have my old wedding dress, I'd run that thing into the ground!!

No comments:

Post a Comment