We will call him "Dick", cause that's what he liked to call himself anyway. Because he was a cop, a special detective!!! He was 6' 3", about 190, and tan, and good looking.
I had been broken up from my ex boyfriend for well over 6 months. I went home to Paradise, the last weekend in February 2009. I wanted to see my girlfriends, whom I missed so much, I wanted to get out of Napa, and home to see my mom, and to just relax for a night or two. I was trying to keep my heart from hurting from the rejection I felt from Mr. Big, and I wanted to drink....pretty much all damn night. So, the girls and I started out at Tres Hombres, a restaurant, that I loved growing up, and still do, especially now that I can drink. We meandered our way through to Duffy's, a gay/lesbian friendly bar, that likes itself to a cute Irish Pub, and we did shots out of Meg's cleavage, and out of my lap. (Classy to say the least) Good times, to be had, all around, we stayed there for a good hour or so, and then walked our wet,cold, drunk asses down to Panama's Tea Bar. This place is so dope. It's got a million different Iced Teas, all alcoholic, all delicious. It has other things too, but their specialty is Teas.
I have to say, I love being home, to see my girls from Chico, feels good, and real, and they know me, and we all can laugh at the craziest shit. But this night in particular I was feeling flirty, and seriously wanted to flirt with anyone who would flirt back, and buy me a drink, which by the way, I believe this night, I paid for one drink and that was all. So, sitting at the bar, this guy "Dick", was there, and we met and he seemed nice enough, we exchanged numbers, and he bought me a drink...or two...ok fine, he bought me three drinks. And, we left. The next day, he asked to have coffee with me, and I was not going to lie to the guy, I didn't even live there, so I told him, no, but thanks, that I live in Napa. And that didn't detour him, he still wanted to get to know each other. IF only I knew then, what I knew now!!
After 2 months of emails, and texts, and phone calls, Dick and I finally meet in Paradise. I asked him to take me to a play and he did. We went on a hike the next day, I should have known by his stupid white socks hiked up to his knees and his ugly ass black tennis shoes, that this guy would be a nightmare in my near future.
He told me about his job, about being a police officer, he told me all kinds of hilarious stories, about people he'd pulled over, and incidents he'd come across. My mom was skeptical, but not me, he was hot, and being a police officer made him hotter. I asked to see his uniform, there it was, he showed me clippings of himself in the local newspaper, his badge, and his gun. No...His actual gun! He showed me how fast he could take it apart and re-assemble it. All of these things, I found very attractive. A man, with a good job, his own home...But now that my memories of him and I are jaded, I can't seem to think of one fucking thing that actually made me think this could be the guy for me.
I'll be the first to admit it, that I don't ask for much from a man. I mean, I do, but I love being oogled upon, and being adored, and Dick showed me that....We went to Tahoe together, and rode bikes around the lake. I seriously thought this douche could be the one for me....I was so, so wrong.
In the beginning of June, he started to act strange...he'd be so clingy, and demand to add me to Facebook, even though I didn't want to, he wasn't my boyfriend, we were dating. He'd text me all day, google chatted with me while he was supposed to be at work. I went up to visit him, and had fallen asleep out in the living room. At about 2 the next morning, he woke me up, but he was acting strange, and distant. I was over it, I went back to sleep. We had gone hiking the next afternoon, and he brought his gun, something that now, makes me really wonder why he brought it, but at the time, it didn't even phase me. And that night we went out and he got smashed, like hardcore, smashed. And he had heard my phone go off, and he said to me, "Who is that Kerry", when I tried to explain to him that my phone had actually just died, he took my phone and threw it at me, as hard as he could. Refusing to let me drive, he drove through downtown Chico, drunk out of his mind, going down one way streets the wrong way. And when we got back to his house, he was screaming at me to leave, and I gladly obliged, but I wanted my things first. So, walking past him I looked back to see what he was doing, and he slapped me across my face, twice. It was the craziest thing, I'd ever gone through. To feel such ANGER but also be so SCARED was a very new thing for me, something i didn't like, and will never allow to happen again. I ran out of that place as soon as I could, and called my friend Renee, at 3 am and then called MB. I never looked back.
2 months later, I got an email from his ex girlfriend, telling me that if I was still seeing him, that I needed to run, quick...CHECK!!! She told me that Dick hadn't been an officer for over 9 months, that he'd been fired the previous winter for being drunk in public, etc, etc. My mom tells me I'm so lucky to have gotten out of there alive, he had a gun in the house, he knew how to use it. I know now, that I am lucky. I also know that I will never accept a phone number again in a bar from a guy who is on a date, and tells me that she isn't anything special, that this is just their second date!!!.....If the white socks, the tank tops and the jean shorts didn't do it, then that should have been my first clue!
***I am not trying to make light of a situation that was abusive, because it was scary, and it was something that was life changing. But, it was exactly that, Life CHANGING, and that's why I chose to write about this. In my blog, because this is where I am able to tell my stories. I strongly urge you, if you are reading this, and have ever been abused in any way, you should tell someone immediately. I knew that what I had gone through that night wasn't right, and I left that situation as soon as I could***
No comments:
Post a Comment