"From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was RUNNING." ~ Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump. 1994
Training for running is hard. You can visualize it, buy the best shoes, hope for the best weather, you can prepare as best you think you can, but it's hard. I remember in highschool you couldn't get me to run worth anything, I hung back in the rear and watched the boys run. I wasn't fat, or out of shape, I just didn't want to sweat, or hurt my boobs. I guess I was psuedo lazy. But, then after highschool, I started to love running. And in 2005 I ran my first 1/2 marathon. It was hard training for that, because I hated running in Paradise. People I knew would see me, honk their stupid horns!! I hate, hate when peeople honk their horn if I'm walking or driving. It scares the crap out of me. Please NEVER honk if you see me walking, I will hate you for it, and probably flip you off. If you want to say hi, come over or drop me a line, but don't effing honk, I'll trip, and skid my face, and send you the bill for it later.
I trained, and I participated in the Bidwell Classic in Chico. My time was something like 2 hours and 8 minutes, but I did it. My goal was under 2 and 1/2 hours. I thought for sure my ass had fallen off on mile 9 or 10, just so much boom, boom, boom on my legs, made my butt go numb. But, it was there, and afterwards, Tina, Brandon, Chris and the boys went to Woodstocks Pizza, and ate a big fat pizza, and for 2 days all I wanted to do was sleep!! But I was so proud of myself, doing it all on my own, finding something I was good at, and I could compete with myself, each time getting better, or relaxing more, keeping a pace, making running friends!!
I kept running after that, participated in 2 more 1/2 marathons since then and 2 5k's. I run on my own, and with friends. And recently joined the Napa Running Company "Napa Vine Runners" Team!! I'm so excited for this.
Today I went up to Sacramento to the Marathon up theere. To see Tina, who supported me through my running, and was there for me at my finish line, I went to see her cross her finish line. There were people laying on their faces, crying, at first I was like "get a grip", I'm gonna be honest, I'm thinking..."what is the big DEAL?" then I saw it more and more, and I finally asked Tina, why they were crying, she said it was an emotional thing to do. I can see that, I mean, these people aren't getting paid to run! They aren't getting bonus's or trophies. They are doing it for themselves, and it's such a neat feeling knowing you challenged yourself, and you made it to the finish line. I can't wait to start competing with myself again, making goals and breaking my own records.
No comments:
Post a Comment