Today is my Dads birthday! Oh I love my Dad. More now, than ever. He has taught me great things. Passed on his sense of humor to myself and my baby brother. He has shown me humility, and has also allowed me to shine. And for all of these things I am so grateful. My dad is funny. About a year ago, he came to visit me and we were talking about the relationship that I had been in when I moved down to Napa. "Kerry", he started..."I didn't like that he had three kids, I liked them...and I think they're great (they are...and were) that he basically stood by and let his ex talk to you like she did, (she was HORRIBLE!!!!) that he basically just wanted you there to be his babysitter...Kerry I didn't like it." "Dad" I said..."why didn't you tell me this before, I respect your opinion Dad, so please, don't be afraid of that!!" To which he replied.."Well, I just didn't think you'd listen...." "Well" I said...." I just didn't know you cared, you are allowed to give me your opinion...and in fact I welcome it...so please, next time I want you to tell me...it doesn't mean that I'll listen, or agree, but at least I'll know you have an opinion" And this started a whole new relationship with my father one that is open and honest, where I can tell him how I'm feeling and he can do the same. And I'm so glad for that....I love my dad for everything he is...he was and what he'll always be.
Happy Birthday.
No comments:
Post a Comment