"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter."~ Lewis Carroll
At the beginning of this week, I found myself reading my hometown paper online. Their teacher of the year is the same that ours was. Reading about the graduates of this year. It’s been 10 years I thought?! WOW. I started writing this blog, and then I went and saw SATC 2, and Carrie is reflecting on her past, and it got me thinking; a lot can happen in 10 years.
I remember the day I graduated high school. I sewed daisies into my hat, and couldn’t wait for the night to come. I walked the field with my closest girlfriends, and walked the stage with my boyfriend at the time. My family was there, and I remember thinking that while I knew one chapter of my life was closing, another was waiting to start. I remember thinking I was going to cry my eyes out, but I didn’t. But I remember watching as the football field filled up with our class. And knowing that I’d miss it. And while I know that high school was just 4 years passing, it has always stayed with me, and I have been able to sustain some of the strongest relationships 10 years later.
It was bittersweet, I knew my life was about to change in so many ways, but I was also looking forward to my future. Although, I was really not sure what I wanted to do, I ended up going to college for a degree in Journalism. I loved writing, and I still do.I loved my classes I took, and my teachers. And high school just became a memory. That was the year that Florida effed up the voting, and that was the year my Grandma Elsie passed away. And that Fall, I turned 18.
A lot can happen in 10 years. It’s almost frightening. Graduation, a marriage, a divorce, friends with babies, friends passing away, friends moving away, friends getting married, leaving home(town) for the first time, buying a home, helping raise 3 children, letting go, falling in love, heartbreak, success, failure, owning a business…selling a business, traveling, finding your passion, creating your own dreams, and following them. A lot can happen in a decade, I’m curious to see what the next decade has in store for me.
Still BFF’s
![]()
Graduating with my closest friends. 6.8.2000
Some of the girls, and I still can list every person in this picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment