"For I don't care too much for money, for money can't buy me love." - The Beatles
Happy Thursday! I've accomplished a lot today, and all before 10 am! I was pretty impressed with myself. This morning, I went and got new tires for my car. It's definitely a purchase that I didn't WANT to make, but there is this thing called bald tires, and mine were past that. So, while I was there, I was paying bills, sending emails, and reading. And I come to this article about saving money.
I used to be a great saver. In fact, my ex husbands mom...who I loathe, called me a miser, and even my ex husband, would mention in passing that I really was bad at spending money, in that plain and simple, I just didn't. I saved every tip I got. I saved anything that was left over after my pay checks. Any extra change, I took to the bank. I took a little out here and there, but rarely. Even after we bought a house, I still saved. Any Christmas, Birthday or just because money, I saved. And then, we got divorced. And, with one quick trip to the bank, I found out that my ex husband....had taken every cent I ever saved since I was 16 years old. He's such a doll. Oh wait, now come to think of it, he left me 500 dollars. So sweet.
After that, I was devastated. All this time, even before I started dating him, all that money gone. I used to muster it up, and be like "Welp, Karma I guess", but that doesn't mean I was any less angry. When I moved to Napa, my cirumstances changed. I was making just as much money as I was in Chico, but at the time there were 3 kids and a higher rent to pay. Fast forward to about the time I started this blog. Living on my own, my own rent, bills, car, fun, food...but I was adamant about learning how to budget again, and save, just for me. I found it even harder than when I was a teenager, I was always finding stuff, things, trips, places, concerts that I wanted to go to, wear, travel, etc. I was overwhelmed at the thought of putting away 10% of my paycheck, that money is mine I'd think!!!
But having a budget is sexy. Knowing that you make this, and really, should only pay this...is good. I used to never look at my bank statement, I'd just toss it away, "money is there" I'd think. And one day, after living in Napa for 2 months, paying rent that I'd never paid in my life, I looked at my bank statement and burst into tears!!! Where had it all gone?! My dad, always one to be calm, was like "Kerry, you have to know what is there, just cause you don't look at it, doesn't mean it isn't being spent, know your money, be friends with your money", and that may sound really lame, and sound silly, but it made sense. I started budgeting again, knowing my money, being FRIENDS with my money again last October, and really couldn't feel more in control about it.
Part of my happiness project is this. Having a budget, keeping up with my savings, knowing my credit. And so, I did just that, got my credit report today, and come to find out...I live in Spokane Washington. Yea...pretty curious right? Other than that, it's not as bad as I thought it might be, and I am so glad I got it!
No comments:
Post a Comment