I unpacked the last of my clothes from my trip home tonight. I had a five day stretch of time off this last week, and I took it on full force. I headed to Chico on Thursday morning. It's funny how much I look forward to going home when I do. Last year, I only went home once, for my high school reunion...
that was blast and a bust all in one. Anyway, I forgot how much I love that town until Christmas time. Nothing has fleeted from my memory. I remember roads, and short cuts like I never left. I remember stores. And places to eat. But, now...it's my second home. Because honestly where I am now...is where I belong..(for now at least ; ) ) Going back to school. It's what I needed to do. Following my dreams and the passion that was ignited last summer was what I needed to chase after. Anyway...my trip home was like a vacation. I stayed in a hotel, because to be honest staying 5 days at anyones house would drive me and them banana crackers. My heart has been missing a piece of itself for the last 9 months...and this last visit I could feel it deep in my core. I missed my mom. I am stubborn...probably one of the most stubbornest. And sometimes that can get the best of me. This weekend I was determined to swallow my pride, and get over our fight from the summer. But, before all of that, I got to visit with my brother, and his fiance. I saw an old friend, I had dinner with another. I saw two local celebrities. I went to a great benefit concert; Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers...and listened to really great music also, by the Railflowers. I realized my hatred for Hipsters runs deeper than previously noted... I missed my boyfriend. I drove in the snow, and before I went home I finally got to see my mom after a really, really long time.

I'm getting really nostalgic as I write this, because while I miss home--I also know that it takes more than a few bar crawls, a few homegrown restaurants, a familiar face and familiar streets to make a life. Chico and Paradise will always be my first home, my home base, and they will always hold my heart, but I need challenges and adventures...opprutunities; career wise, and personal. Sometimes I wonder why I have made the decisions I have made. Sometimes I really judge myself, and over think everything.
Sometimes I wonder...what would I have done differently. And while I am not a very religious person, I do believe things happen for a bigger reason than you or I could ever fathom. The past three and a half years have been like an affirmation of my humanity. I'm scared to think of what I would be like if I never left. Probably remarried...or living with my parents, no thanks. Probably still working in retail....my biggest vacation would be to Disneyland, or Discovery Kingdom...or something like that. I just couldn't do those things. That just isn't me.
Anyway...brunch with my mom and brother and his main squeeze was my favorite. We sat and ate and drank for nearly 3 hours, and then headed to downtown Chico where we froze...but it was well worth it. And at the end of my trip I left with memories and well....a whole bunch of pictures. Enjoy.
Covered Bridge
Back porch at Dad's
Same day...but in Chico. Much better
Bidwell Park walk
Coffee!!!
Old friends
me and my mama
her and him <3
Downtown walk
feeling playful in the fountain
Best day of my visit
No comments:
Post a Comment