Monday, February 21, 2011

baby brother

There's no other love like the love for a brother.  
There's no other love like the love from a brother.  
~Astrid Alauda




As I said last week, my little brother is engaged.  I can't believe the boy who once declared he'd never get married, or even think about having children is now engaged, with a date set.  
My brother, is my hero.  I love him more and more everyday.  The man who he has become, the things he has overcome, and the person who he is...amazes me everyday.  For a good year now, family is heavy on my mind and heart.  I miss family every day.  And getting to see them is a treat.  But, the one person who I can't wait to see usually is Bryan.  We didn't always get along...that's usually a given in a childhood sibling relationship.  I was bossy, and liked to make him dress up in my ballet clothes, and tap dancing recital costumes.  My friends and I really liked to torture him.  We'd make him tape us while we sang, and danced, and if he dared get in the shot, we'd scream "BRRRYYYAN"...in high school, my brother was a trouble maker, and when I was a senior, my Principal called me in his office, and was like "kerry, your brother has pierced the middle of his forehead, fix this"...haha.  My brother.  I got him to take it out...it was making him cross eyed.  My brother got into a lot of trouble in high school, and started hanging out with the wrong crowd, and before I knew it, he was into drugs, and ditching school.  It made me sad.  My baby brother was unrecognizable to me.  He fought with my parents, called my dad by his first name...stole.  I hated him.  And I told him, he'd die of drugs..I just knew if he didn't get help...he'd die.  I knew.  So, about 8 months before my wedding...my dad bravely and with a heart full of hope, put my brother into rehab.  And my brother..who is 6 feet tall...went into rehab, weighing just under 120 lbs. he was a stranger;  And when I saw him again...right before my wedding, he was so handsome..he was a man.  There was my brother.  I had missed him.  About 6 months after my wedding his ex girlfriend died of a drug overdose.  It was devestating.  To see my brother completely a mess at her funeral broke my heart.  He had such deep love for her, even after they were broken up, they remained best friends.  After that, my brother went backward.  And I remember one time I saw him at the grocery store, and he just looked so sad, like crying out for help--but deep inside.  I remember telling my ex husband, I want him to come live with us, I need to get him better.  But, my brother who is strong...got himself better.  And has been clean and off of drugs for over 4 years.  I admire him for that...I admire him for a lot of things.  He is one of the strongest people I know.  He has a spirit like NO ONE I know...and a demeanor I only wish for.  When he texted me last Sunday night and told me he was going to propose, I was all smiles...My baby brother is all grown up.  He's been through more than a 26 year old man should go through, and come out amazing because of those battles and lessons.  I can't wait to watch him be a husband, I can't wait to see him be a dad..someday.  I can't wait to go see him in Chico this weekend, to get to see him and his fiance, get to spend time home with them. 

I love you little brother, more than you'll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment