![]() |
| via we heart it |
I know I'm not alone when I say sometimes Facebook really needs to have a reality check. I know I'm not alone, because everyone of my friends that I've had the "how come you stopped posting on facebook" chat with have come to a majority vote of, 'Facebook is a passive aggressive bully, that needs a time out'! I also read something the other day that cause me to stop, and re-count all the things I've posted, statuses, pictures, etc.
There have been studies, about whether or not all this online business is causing people...our very own "friends" to feel depressed, unhappy, discontent with their very own lives. According to the studies, Facebook, Twitter, and even Blogging....are making people feel like their lives are less than the happy, cheery, shiny people living our life without any bad day, never sad, never any sort of un- needed drama. Almost as though not a care in the world, but work...but even then...we have it better than let's say 12% of our friends, which in my case would be a rough guess of around 60 of my friends. Or some may complain about their crying child...but then...that woman has a child, while a friend may be childless. And so it goes. We all feel less. Less happy, less satisfied with our own lives, less understood, less...you fill in the blank.
Don't get me wrong friends, I'll tell you right now, I love Facebook, I'd even include myself in the whole "Facebook Addiction" category. I'm not gonna lie about that! But, it does get me thinking. I'll tell you my first Facebook status was this "Kerry is....Working"...for about 5 months until I figured it out. And rarely did my friends update their status--my friends list was a high 76 and I was proud of that number...and it crept up slowly, but they were people I knew, now or in the past. But people, lets be doubly honest and admit it...we've posted stuff on Facebook, almost knowing..... I looked back at my year in pictures, and realized...that maybe I very well could have made someone feel less, like their lives weren't up to par..or that they aren't living their best life, and that makes me sad. ... If this resonates with you: I want you to know that there is not one human being on the planet who has not felt sadness; has perfect days, every single day; has had a life free of lessons and obstacles; and does not feel tired, unsure, hurt, or disappointed at many different times in their lives. As for myself, I know this is true.
I know that we don't like admitting this, putting ourselves on blast all through out the cyber world is almost like us being a wet blanket, but we all know. And, if you want to pretend, and sit there and act like your days are all full of bubbles, and fairy dust, and unicorn rides, with a diamond candy necklace-- well, then we know you're even more off your rocker than originally thought!
I know that sometimes, we want to brag, and to say hey look...or I'm this or I'm that, or look at my kids, or I've traveled the globe! And I think that's okay. But, I hope we are doing it for the right reasons.
..but I also think that sometimes silence is good too.
If not for Facebook, I know I wouldn't have some of the very best friends I have right now. I wouldn't get to see my best friends babies grow, and watch milestones! I can't travel every place to see these things! I don't have a money tree growing on my balcony! I know that, I wouldn't be so connected to the world like I am through my friends. I know that my friends....feel the same. And for those things, I am grateful.
Remember where you have been and where you are going. Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.
---Nikita Koloff

No comments:
Post a Comment