Do you remember when you stopped playing and being carefree as a child? When fun was just part of our job as a kid, and having to actually make time for it would seem crazy. When the carefree days of fun and non-stop laughter was slowly replaced with stress filled days and occasionally you would squeeze in a day of fun? For some, growing up may have come sooner rather than later, for others they still haven’t quite gotten there yet.
Of course I know that growing up is a part of life, it’s how we pay our bills, it’s how we get to live out on our own, it’s how we get to fulfill our dreams, being a grown-up comes with the cost of stress, and well….less playtime.
~ The trick is growing up without growing old. ~ C. Stengel
Now, as adults we have to find time (or at least we should) to set our own play-dates, to do things that bring us back years, to be playful and fun with each other. To meet new friends without holding back. To laugh all day and recount our nights before and laugh some more. To dance in the empty streets of our town on a rainy night, to take pictures and not worry for a second about how we look in them, or who will or won’t see them, to eat crappy food and not do a calorie count.
This last weekend I found myself doing just that. As the year is winding down, and I’m loving my new place, and loving who I’m with, and where I am in my life. I find myself remembering why I fell in love with Napa, with the North Bay, and everything it has to offer. This doesn’t mean I’m not up for the change ahead of me, but it definitely makes me want to be home more on the weekends. I met some really amazing people this last weekend, toured some Wineries I’ve never toured or wine I’ve never tasted before. Ate at yummy restaurants, visited here, and shut it down. Danced and celebrated Halloween at one of the local bars, danced through the streets chanting “let’s go Giants” and the not going to bed until the early morning hours. And then doing it again all over the next day with an end to the weekend doing a four hour game of Charades.
I try to find, in any moment, in any opportunity a way to remember to be playful. At work (when it’s appropriate), at the store, with friends, and even alone. To remember that life isn’t always business, that sometimes it’s okay to be playful and carefree, to not take things so seriously, that the sky is the limit, and nothing and no one will hold you back; and those are the moments that makes everything in between just fade away.
“…. existence is not serious. It is so playful, so full of song and so full of music and so full of subtle laughter. It has no purpose; it is not business-like. It is pure joy, sheer dance, out of overflowing energy. ” Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh
Day 1 of fun…..
No comments:
Post a Comment